Wednesday, November 14, 2007

My Response to Fat Tutu

This proposition is a magnet for controversy. I understand the need for cancer research and I understand the need for funding for this research. My grandma had colon cancer and they caught it JUST in time before it would have become incurable. However, I do not understand why Texas is going to pour 3 Billion dollars into this over the next ten years. Why not take some of surplus we already have and apply it to the federal cancer research, pooling the resources of our state with that of the federal government. For that matter, why not put money towards research to cure crohns disease (auto-immune disease that attacks the digestive system, rotting it form the inside out), rheumatoid arthritis, AIDS (though I believe there is a great deal of funding already in this) and many other painful and deadly diseases. Cancer is not the only big bad wolf of a disease out there to put money towards. Furthermore, It is inevitable that the Texas Government will eventually tax us for this money in some shape or form. It will probably appear on some bill a couple of years from now obscured in political lingo proposing a new tax for such and such to pay for the money going to the new cancer development. I mean, for God’s sake, we complained about the roads and they built us new roads. Toll roads, to be exact. One way or the other we WILL pay for this money and not all of us are spending 10 grand a month in rent. Now that I think about it, I am not sure that the majority of people out there make 10 grand a month. I know I don’t.

No comments: